RE: solo writer--how do you keep up, etc?

Subject: RE: solo writer--how do you keep up, etc?
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:04:53 -0400

Sean,

Good questions!

I'll keep subscribing to TECHWR-L as long as Eric has the patience to put up
with us.
I look for websites on related industries, and frequently subscribe to
newsletter and magazines--e.g.. training, usability, multi-media, web
design, knowledge management, marketing, e-commerce to name a few. The
future is in tying these related fields together.
I look for on-line courses such as the ones from on-linelearning.com
(satisfied customer here).
I buy books on the stuff that interests me.
I look for trial software demos so I can get a feel for how the tools work
and how they might be changing.
I attend status meetings here and ask questions about what kinds of stuff QA
and development are doing to further their skills sets.
I volunteer and offer to do marketing and websites for them, helps me
polish the skills I'm trying to master.
I go to grad school, but not for tech comm, for organizational
communications, which covers vast amounts of the stuff mentioned in point 2.
I pretend I'm Queen of all I survey here... Helps the old self-esteem from
time to time :)
I look for free-lance stuff to do on the side, even with evil consulting
companies, because eventually I'll stop pretending to be Queen, and actually
get crowned.

Hope some of these help!

Connie Giordano
The TechComm/MarComm/e-commerce Lady in Waiting in Charlotte