RE: Hall of Technical Documentation Weirdness

Subject: RE: Hall of Technical Documentation Weirdness
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 13:46:13 -0400

From: Darren Barefoot [mailto:darren -at- capulet -dot- com]

> As one does, I've collected some examples of good and bad technical
> writing over the years. Most is unremarkable.
>
> Yet, a few pieces defy description. They're utterly bizarre, madcap,
> surreal or otherwise strange. Technical illustration, in particular,
> seems to generate a lot of madness. To honour this zany detritus, I've
> started the Hall of Technical Documentation Weirdness
> (http://www.darrenbarefoot.com/hall/).

The example of the tag from the "Kickers" shoes may be unexplained,
but it's explainable. The panels down the left side indicate what
portion of the shoe is being considered. The panels down the right
say something about the makeup of those aspects of the shoe. For
example, the top pair of panels claims that the exterior uppers are
leather. The next pair makes some claim about the lining (woven textile?),
and the bottom pair, with the diamond, is telling us about the sole.

I have no *clue* what the diamond represents, and a bit of googling
and Yahoo searching produced no relevant results for "footware, tag,
symbols, diamond". I did find some diamond symbols with information
inside them, indicating that they complied with various standards,
regarding industrial toughness, resistance to oils and acids, conductivity,
etc. Didn't find any for an empty diamond.

Somebody in the biz can probably explain the meaning. Or, perhaps
just somebody from the right part of the world will recognize the
symbol?

/kevin

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com