Re: Printing from press--divide by 4 or 8 question

Subject: Re: Printing from press--divide by 4 or 8 question
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 07:00:12 -0400

Sean Brierley wrote:

You know, I was thinking, no biggie to expunge those
troublesome pages because I wasn't thinking print >
fold > then cut. D'oh.

Even so, why would a printer insist on divisible by 8?
Is it more work for them? Ida thought the RIP could
handle it, n'est-ce pas?

Sounds like Goob's printer (or their rep) ain't
interested and wants the writer to build the 8 page
rule into the PostScript.

Sean,

It isn't Goober's job to impose signatures. The printer does that with specialized imposition software (unless they're doing it the old-fashioned way, using film, tape, and a mask, but I doubt that). However, if the printer says, "Hey, Goob, I need to use a multiple of eight pages, whaddaya want on the other four and where do you want them?" then it is Goober's responsibility to say what he wants. Absent that, the printer will make the decision. (Printers hate to make decisions, because no matter which way they decide, half the customers are going to say they're wrong and fight them over the bill.)

As far as I can determine, that's all this thread is about. As I said, it's not a big deal.

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com