Re: UML

Subject: Re: UML
From: Beth Agnew <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 12:54:57 -0400

Congratulations on the gig, John! As for UML, don't fall for the "automated documentation" features Rational purports to include or support (SoDa for Word comes to mind). They are a big waste of time. By the time you program them to pull out the information, you could have written the thing twice. And they can only pull out what has been put in (GIGO), which is generally quite bad. UML with Rational Rose was supposed to be a great aid to development, and it was -- for the developers. On the documentation side, it would have been very helpful to the writers, except that the developers were not putting IN the comments we needed so we still had to interview them anyway. Apart from that, it was indeed "fun".

Use cases are by far the best aspect of UML. I suggest writing your own narrative use cases, rather than relying on the ones in the software. Use cases are great for capturing specifications and requirements.

<facetious>But shouldn't you be looking for a UML expert instead?</facetious>
--Beth

John Posada wrote:

What I need to know is this: Has anyone created documentation under the
umbrella of UML. What were the "gotchas"? What did you find out was the
biggest impact on what you do on a day to day basis? What was your biggest
obstacles. Did it improve what you create and if so, how?
--
Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com