Re: Defining page size using Adobe generic PS

Subject: Re: Defining page size using Adobe generic PS
From: Sheila Carlisle <scarlisle -at- axialinfo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:44:53 -0700

John, the Adobe Printer Driver = GOOD, but using it with the Generic PS printer = EVIL. Number of reasons, but bottom line is it's the lowest common printer capability, so it doesn't have features like larger page sizes, it's only b&w, and it's very low res.

Delete the Generic Printer from your installed printers, and instead install Acrobat Distiller as a printer. Then set that as your default printer, and you have the full capabilities of Distiller to create the pages (I think 44 x 44 is still the max page size, it's color, it's whatever dpi you want up to 2440, etc).

Instructions on setting Distiller as a printer, written by Adobe's Dov Isaacs, (and setting up a port called "FILE:" if you don't yet have it) are on the FM section of the Adobe User-to-User forum:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50 -at- 121 -dot- fuQka5tDW1G -dot- 0@.ef63236

Sheila

John Posada wrote:

I went to the Adobe site, downloaded the generic PS driver, installed it to
use a local port, etc.

However, I find that when I try to configure page size in the Generic PS
printer, it only gives me options for small format outputs...legal is the
largest size, so when I distill the PDF, I get a PDF in 10 pages.

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com