RE: plain vanilla tech writers

Subject: RE: plain vanilla tech writers
From: George Mena <George -dot- Mena -at- esstech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:30:07 -0700

Joanne makes an excellent point when she says contractors often work in
different technologies. I definitely know this is true because I've split my
time between being an off-the-shelf technical writing commodity for a number
of job shops and being a staff tech writer, including four tours of duty as
a one-man technical publications department. And I've been in this business
for over 22 years.

Perhaps there's no such thing as a "plain vanilla" technical writer. Until
today, I hadn't even heard of that term. Truth be told, I think technical
writers have to be very flexible and versatile in terms of learning new
technologies all the time as part of furthering their careers.

Over the course of my career, I've worked in the aerospace, computer
systems, defense, digital imaging, microsensor and semiconductor worlds.
I've written just about everything from line process instructions to
manufacturing standards, from hardware user guides to online help, and more.

Plain vanilla tech writers? I think not. Now, where did I put the pine nuts
and the cherries? I have to top off my banana split... :D

George

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com