Re: RE: A suspected can of worms - knowing the future

Subject: Re: RE: A suspected can of worms - knowing the future
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:48:19 -0600

Gene K. wrote:

> If you believe that our mindsets are gentically programmed
> and unalterable by our own intent, effort and experience,
> I suppose so.

John P. replied:

> What's "programmed" is each individual's tendency to ask "WHY" and "HOW"
> every time someone else opens their mouth.

I'm with Gene, with special emphasis on "intent." The fact that virtually
all two-year-olds wonder and ask questions suggests there's an inherent
_tendency_. But, you have to *choose* every day to keep thinking and
wondering and asking questions. It's your *choice*, and many people simply
stop making that choice.

Various outside factors may have an influence, but the choice not to think
is still an individual's choice -- and responsibility.

All together now -- sing it with me:

There are those who think that life has nothing left to chance,
A host of holy horrors to direct our aimless dance.

A planet of playthings,
We dance on the strings
Of powers we cannot perceive
"The stars aren't aligned -
Or the gods are malign"
Blame is better to give than receive.

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear-
I will choose Free Will.

-- "Free Will," Neil Pert & Rush

OK, that's my philosophical rant for the week. :-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT voyanttechDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT freeDASHmarketDOTnet
303-777-0436
------

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com