RE: A suspected can of worms - knowing the future

Subject: RE: A suspected can of worms - knowing the future
From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- ca -dot- stilo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:34:11 -0400

Dick Margulis wrote:

> Someone (Mark Baker, maybe?) was arguing a month or two ago that
> "any educated person" should have the non-industry-specific
> skills that make someone a good tech writer. For the minority of
> students who attend college to become educated persons, that is
> true. For the majority who treat universities as trade schools,
> alas, it is not true.

It was me, and you make a very good point. Many people waste the opportunity
to get an education and opt to get training instead. Given that an education
is overall better preparation for life in a changing world, pursuing a
tecnical communication degree may actually disqualify you for more technical
communication jobs than it qualifies you for, especially in the long term.

---
Mark Baker
Stilo Corporation
1900 City Park Drive, Suite 504 , Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1J 1A3
Phone: 613-745-4242, Fax: 613-745-5560
Email mbaker -at- ca -dot- stilo -dot- com
Web: http://www.stilo.com

This message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the
intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, copying, or
distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
all copies of the original message and any attachments.

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com