RE: Think outside the box - Re: A suspected can of worms

Subject: RE: Think outside the box - Re: A suspected can of worms
From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- ca -dot- stilo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:07:01 -0400

Mike O. wrote:

> I think the lesson here is that companies have laid off lots of domain
> experts, or are not hiring many domain experts, so they now are
> enjoying the luxury of hiring domain experts as technical writers. In
> bad times, lots of people work 'beneath' their level of training.
>
> When (if?) the domain experts are once again employed in their fields,
> I expect you'd see ads again for plain-vanilla tech writers to document
> the experts' output.

The question you have to ask is, which is the exceptional circumstance? Is
the existence of substantial numbers of plain-vanilla technical writers the
normal state from which the current situation is a deviation. Or was the
existence of substantial numbers of plain-vanilla technical writers during
the tech boom a deviation from which we have now returned to normal.

Since the tech boom is universally acknowledge to have been not only a
classic boom, but also a classic bubble, I think it is only reasonable to
assume that the current state of things is the norm, and the state of things
in the 90's was the deviation.

---
Mark Baker
Stilo Corporation
1900 City Park Drive, Suite 504 , Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1J 1A3
Phone: 613-745-4242, Fax: 613-745-5560
Email mbaker -at- ca -dot- stilo -dot- com
Web: http://www.stilo.com

This message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the
intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, copying, or
distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
all copies of the original message and any attachments.

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com