Re: Motivation + career path

Subject: Re: Motivation + career path
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 06:51:57 -0700 (PDT)

> However, based on this, I have decided that some of
> you are celebrities as
> well. Therefore, I will begin using YOUR names in my
> arguments.
>
> Thus you won't mind when I say things like:
>
> "Most small-minded a**holes subscribe to the Bill
> Swallow school of human
> relations.
> "Anytime you are confronted with a Dick Margulis
> type of employee, you'll want
> to make sure you take appropriate measures to
> document exactly what was decided
> in the meetings because they don't really give a
> crap what you think and will
> just do anything they please."
> "Most incompetent, arrogant, semi-simian technical
> writers subscribe to the Tom
> Murrell school of business relationships where
> treating people with respect
> only applies to those people that share you
> political, social, and sexual
> preferences."

Is that *really* necessary, Andrew? I'd have thought
you'd be above making those kinds of degrading
comments. Nothing Dick wrote was degrading toward you.
I honestly don't understand where your hostility is
stemming from.

> All this time I thought this was rude and
> disrespectful.

Your examples are, Dick's wasn't. I think ANYONE who
has been on this list for more than six months knows
that you favor accurate content development more than
other tech writing responsibilities, and that you take
a slightly unfavorable view toward elaborate planning
and publishing efforts. Is it rude and disrespectful
to use you and your posts as a reference point for
content-development methodologies?

> What is really funny about this, is that everybody
> keeps telling me how visible
> I am around here. Yet I barely post any more.

Again, anyone who has been on this list for at least 6
months to a year (which I believe is at least a slight
majority of list members) knows you and your approach
to documentation. An archive search for posts made by
you returns tons of records. Face it, you made
yourself incredibly visible.

I can't help to see the irony in this situation
though. So many people have been chastized for
personally attacking you on-list in response to your
comments, while you attacked ideas. Now that someone
mentions your ideas with attribution to you, you
suddenly turn on the defensive.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sbc.yahoo.com

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com