RE: Portfolios

Subject: RE: Portfolios
From: Maggie Pierce Secara <maggiros -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:53:36 -0700 (PDT)

Bill Swallow said:

I've been in the interviewer's chair a few times.
Personally, I expect that you've written technical
info, published to print and online, and have worked
on help files if you're interviewing for anything
other than an entry-level position. Seeing what you've
done brings me little comfort as to your ability to do
it. I'd much rather you talked about it, especially
your challenges. How you talk about what you did is
much more valuable than showing me the end result.
*Anyone* could have done that portfolio for you... If
you can talk me through your best and worst days, best
and worst projects, and really show me you know your
stuff, well, who cares about the portfolio, really.
I've already "seen" all I need with which to make a
decision.
=================

Next time I interview with you, Bill, I'll keep all
that in mind. :) But since I don't know exactly how
that the interviewer is going to approach my
samples--and since I tend to use them to remind me of
what I was doing where so I can talk about those good
projects and challenging days--I think I'll select,
organize, and take them with me, just in case.

=====
Maggie Secara

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com