Re: Portfolios

Subject: Re: Portfolios
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 06:03:46 -0700 (PDT)

> But they always ask me what I did, or what I've been
> doing, and I find it a lot easier to show than just
> tell. After all, talk's cheap. They want to *see*
> what I've done for someone else to get an idea of
> what I can do for them.

Talk isn't cheap, especially in an interview. It's the
main conduit for interaction, and should be leveraged
as such.

> Also, the one time I got out of the car and realized
> my portfolio was 20 miles away on my dining room
> table
> and the interview was inside the round-trip time, I
> went in without it. I managed. more or less, but I
> didn't like it. And I didn't get the job.

Never base your interviewing comfortability on your
portfolio. You might hit that interviewer who won't
want to see it. Then what do you do?

> Sometimes they hardly look, sometimes (rarely) they
> want to read something in detail. They always want
> to see something. In my experience, of course.

More times than not they do want to see something. My
point is why not give them something they don't know
they really should see, rather than something they
assume they should look at?

> Oddly enough, everyone's experience differs. What
> works for yo uis what works for you and (thank
> goodness) there's no one certified right way.

Well, not yet. But that's another thread and if I'm
not mistaken, another list. ;)

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sbc.yahoo.com

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com