RE: RE: Interviewing "under the hood"?

Subject: RE: RE: Interviewing "under the hood"?
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:41:49 -0700 (PDT)

Actually, I think you are mis-defining true single
sourcing.

True single sourcing does not have to be XML,
database, or even open source.

I single source using proprietary tools and binaries.
FM and WWP Pro. My deliverables differ in both content
and formatting and I didn't even pay an arm and a leg
for the tools nor the expertise to run them. Content
can be tagged or identified without necessarily
requiring it to be in a database.

Now, about the use everywhere thing. Try getting XML
into PowerPoint. I have PowerPoint 2002. It's a dead
end for content--tought to get in or out. However,
consider my approach to presentations, wherein I
create PDF presentations that uses content that is
used elsewhere . . ..

The promise of XML-based single sourcing for the
masses continues to be just that--a promise--as it has
for more than 5 years now. I'll admit, it's closer.
With the promise of proprietary XML from the next
version of MS Office, it'll get closer. If you have a
bunch of money, maybe Miramo or Patternstream can get
you there today. Or, there's the likes of DocFrame.
But, if print is important to you . . . therein is the
rub.

And, I'd be wary of expecting PageMaker to readily
handle XML before the application gets officially
mothballed.

Cheers,

Sean

--- Dick Margulis <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net> wrote:
> Sean,
>
> Suppose you want to do true single-sourcing. A group
> of people contribute content on a variety of topics.
> The content is tagged as to type (not Is this a
> bullet item? but Is this a feature name?). The
> content is then available for any number of uses--a
> sales presentation in PowerPoint, a functional spec
> in Word, a trade show poster in Illustrator,
> marketing collateral in PageMaker--and when the
> original content changes (because the actual product
> features change), all those outputs can be updated
> automatically. That, as I see it, is the promise of
> single-sourcing and the promise of XML. I can look
> at a feature name in a PageMaker template and treat
> it as a bullet item. I can look at it in PowerPoint
> and treat it as a new slide title. I can look at it
> in an Illustrator file and pull in a graphic icon
> that is tagged to go with that item. (This is all
> hypothetical, of course; I don't think those
> particular programs could be easily coaxed to do any
> of these things.)
>
> So that's the promise of what XML-type markup can
> eventually do for us.

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com