Parallel Reactions - Was RE: Case Study

Subject: Parallel Reactions - Was RE: Case Study
From: "Jim Shaeffer" <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:23:14 -0400

When new members approach the list, we 'old' members are in
the position of being Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) on the
subject of Tech Writing.
Frequently, our reactions to questions parallel the negative
reactions that we complain about getting from the SMEs with
whom we work.
It seems that the suggestions regarding how to avoid these
negative reactions to questions also parallel one another.
In general, the suggestions are: do your homework, focus the
questions, don't just go on fishing expeditions. (Using
cookies and candy to bribe the SMEs doesn't work on the
list, darn it!)
Also, the list is not a place to build rapport through
small talk and personal dialogs, skills that can be useful
with other SMEs.

Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com