Re: Serif or san serif? (Take II)

Subject: Re: Serif or san serif? (Take II)
From: "Diane Boos" <dboos -at- drizzle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:09:54 -0700

Geoff Hart wrote:
This certainly isn't a unique complaint, but in my experience, the problem
is poor design, not an inherent problem with the font.

I agree and I did not mean to imply that there were problems with the font
itself. What I was trying to point out is that the end users needs should be
the criteria that influences the choice of serif vs. sans serif font.

IMHO, as technical communicators, we need to be aware that not all end users
have perfect eyesight.

Also we need to be aware of technology changes that are happening: hardcopy
delivery went to desktop screens, and desktops are yielding to laptops used
anywhere. While laptops haven't been replaced by cell phone screens yet, the
technology looks like it's going that way. Already telecoms are touting
email, games, and Internet connections on cell phones. How much control do
writers have of fonts displayed on a cell phone screen?

Diane

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com