Re: Managing versions of documents - problems and concerns

Subject: Re: Managing versions of documents - problems and concerns
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:04:11 -0700 (PDT)

> I am looking for info on the major problems or
> concerns regarding the
> management of document versions. I would like to use
> this as part of a
> presentation at next meeting of the local (Israeli)
> FrameUsers group where I
> will speak on on the use of embedded document notes
> as an alternative or
> complimentary solution.

Most version control systems are designed for code, so
binary formats like .doc, .fm, and graphics formats
aren't kept as diffs in version control, but as
copies, leading to version control server bloat. Those
systems that are designed for proper documentation
version control only do so for specific formats and
still cannot handle graphic formats (by the format's
nature, unless you store it as postscript, then
maybe...). These doc control systems are also not
cheap (the same for dev ones).

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

http://sbc.yahoo.com

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com