Re: Error Messages

Subject: Re: Error Messages
From: "David O'Brien" <OBrien_David_P -at- cat -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:50:35 +1000

El Mié 18 Jun 2003 16:36, Bonnie Granat escribió:
> From: <rajancs2002 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
>
> > Is it okay to use the word "failed" in error messages? For
> > example, "Failed to retrieve the data".
>
> I'd say, "The data was not retrieved," and perhaps even offer a
> crumb of information about what went wrong.

as always, "Know your audience".

Whom are you writing for? Some ppl will be satisfied with the
original, some will, as suggested, prefer a bit more meaning and
explanation.

David

--
David O'Brien
Caterpillar MineStar Solutions

Email: david -dot- obrien -at- cat -dot- com

--
The package said "Install Windows NT or better" so I installed Linux.

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com