RE: Boeing Tech Pubs going offshore? (long)

Subject: RE: Boeing Tech Pubs going offshore? (long)
From: morgret -at- stanfordalumni -dot- org
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:03:19 -0600

One more comment to add regarding Chile. Your experience has seen that
people need four to five years to come up to speed - and that is with
hiring people with some knowledge of the general engineering field and
putting them in an environment with other tech writers that ARE up to
speed.

We learn from each other. That new tech writer has others in the area that
do understand the material and can help the new person to understand
things. What happens when EVERYONE is new to the material? My gut says
this is another thing that has not been considered. John Sealy Brown, in
The Social Life of Information, has some interesting things to say about
how people learn from each other in these types of situations.

Keri Morgret

> Airplanes are amazingly complex systems to
> document, and from my experience and observation a new tech writer with no
> experience with the specific product requires four to five -years- to come
> up to full speed and reach the point where you can count on the writer to
> get it right with a minimum of review.

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com