Held hostage by Adobe for $39.00

Subject: Held hostage by Adobe for $39.00
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:05:31 -0400

Hi, guys...I'm the "proud" owner of both Adobe FM7 and Acrobat 5.0.

Because I reinstalled Acrobat 5 after I installed FM7, the Distiller version
is 5.0.0, the version on Acro5 instead of 5.0.5, the version on FM7.
However, to use certain functionality of FM7, I need 5.0.5.

In trying to reinstall 5.0.5 from the FM CD, when FM7 installation banner is
displayed, I am not given the option of installing the correct version of
Distiller, so I contacted Adobe support. I'd rather not perform a complete
installation of FM7, just to get the .0.5 incremental upgrade.

The response? Since I won't give them 39.00, they aren't going to tell me
how to install the required software from their CD, to use the features that
the software requires and without which, the features in their software for
which I paid cannot be used.

Two questions: 1) is this the way we want our software companies to behave?,
and 2) does anyone on the list know how to do this?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
212-414-6656
icq: 178047452
aim: jposada1
"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream
of things that never were, and ask why not?"
-----Robert Francis Kennedy, 1968 presidential campaign

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com