Re: Boeing Tech Pubs going offshore?

Subject: Re: Boeing Tech Pubs going offshore?
From: Mike Stockman <mstockman -at- mac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 20:45:29 -0400

On 06/15/2003 9:01 AM, Mike O. (obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com) wrote:

>You are essentially claiming that quality can be inspected in, and the
>results will be just as good as if the quality were built in. This is
>almost never true. Engineers don't accept "quality inspected in" for
>manufacturing, and they shouldn't accept it for documentation either.

I don't know any engineers, or software or hardware developers for that
matter, who will allow anything to go out without quality control, and I
personally think that any company who releases documentation without at
least one review cycle ("quality control" for docs) is doomed to publish
crap.

The need for quality control doesn't disparage the efforts of the
engineers, nor should it imply that the writers are publishing garbage
that needs quality to be "inspected in." It's simply a fact...
documentation needs testing like every other component of a product.

To tie this to my original point, if Boeing has been releasing quality
manuals for decades that have avoided an epidemic of fiery crashes (that
were suggested as the result of outsourcing), then Boeing's quality
control is catching mistakes before they go out. There's no reason
replacing their entire tech. writing group (internally, or by sending all
of the tech writing jobs to Mexico, India, or anywhere else) should
change that.

If, of course, Boeing were stupid enough to replace their quality control
mechanism (or outsource it, same thing) at the same time as they replace
(or outsource, whatever) their tech writing group, then they're asking
for trouble. But I haven't read anything suggesting that's what they're
doing.

Mike

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com