Re: Education (Was Re: Techwriting After the Boom)

Subject: Re: Education (Was Re: Techwriting After the Boom)
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 06:26:23 -0800

<snip>
> So I'll ask the group: What single course proved
> to be most useful in your technical writing work?
> The glass is half empty or half full, depending
> on your viewpoint.)

English for all of the wrong reasons. Bad instructor
forced me to take Speech instead. Got out of my shell
and learned to interact with the world. Forced me to
organize thoughts before I spoke.

Engineering for the logic needed and as a first job
the thought process to take an engineering drawing
and break it down into components, and further break
it down determining the materials (sheet, bar, forging,
whatever) and process to build each component and then
assemble the bits into the designers vision, and oh
yeah, document everything along the way for others to
actually do the physical work.

CB - who still looks at stuff and tries to figure
out how it was manufactured

Oh yeah, if the glass is half empty, then the glass
is way over-engineered
--
Surfy! http://www.surfy.net Great web search, free web email, and $9.95 unlimited Internet access