RE: Longevity vs Variety

Subject: RE: Longevity vs Variety
From: "GeneK" <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 10 Jun 2003 14:00:32 PDT

What hurts or helps and what my "druthers" are is two
different subjects. The hiring climate changes with the
times, sometimes it helps and sometimes it hurts to have
been with the same employer for a long time, but personally,
I *hate* job interviews. I hate taking them as a candidate
and I hate conducting them as a hiring manager. As a
candidate, what I want most is an employer looking for
people who are in it for the long haul and prepared to
provide things like training and occaisional internal job
changes as needed to keep my enthusiasm high; as
a manager, what I want is employees who'll stick
around long enough to develop expertise in the company and
its environment as well as the product and technology and
who I won't have to worry about replacing anytime soon - if
ever (that goes for contractors and consultants as well;
I have called upon two or three contractor/consultants again
and again over the years). Sadly, "long haulers," both
employers and employees, seem hard to come by these days,
and IMO it's mostly employers that are to blame for that.

Gene Kim-Eng