Re: Education (Was Re: Techwriting After the Boom)

Subject: Re: Education (Was Re: Techwriting After the Boom)
From: "Kat Nagel (lists only)" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:50:08 -0400

At 7:54 AM -0400 2003-06-10, Hewitt, Hazel wrote:

jump through to get a degree"....

I wished I had studied calculus when I was struggling to complete
assignments for Pascal 101, and my class colleague, who was flying through
them, told me it was the calculus she'd studied that made it easy for her. I
don't know, but assume, that the same thing would apply to other programming
languages.

<nod, nod>
The second semester of my high-school calculus course emphasized problem analysis and the choice of the proper tool for solving each problem. That has as useful as the best of the English courses I've taken---also a high-school course. None of the college English or math courses were anywhere near as useful.

I did have a required 1 credit Chemical Literature course as part of my undergraduate chemistry major at the University of Buffalo that taught me quite a bit about abstracting, the organization of articles for professional scientific journals, and the peer review process. And several of the courses* in the Rochester Institute of Technology Technical Communication certificate program---taught by working professionals, not full-time academic instructors---were exceptionally helpful, with a wealth of practical detail and useful information on business realities.

K@
Kat Nagel
* In 1991-92 they offered 11 separate courses over a calendar year. Now, it seems to be one course with different instructors coming in to teach different modules. I'm not sure that is an improvement.

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com