Re: Converting TTF fonts to ATM (Sorry, I meant AFM)

Subject: Re: Converting TTF fonts to ATM (Sorry, I meant AFM)
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 16:27:00 -0400

Rowena,

I'm mind-reading here, trying to divine what you are trying to do, so I may be way off base.

I _think_ what you are saying is that in order to implement the XML -> PDF transformation, you need to know how wide each glyph is in the font (so you can do line length calculations, etc.).

That information is available in the TTF and you should not need to convert to Type 1. As Mike says, you shouldn't need any width information for the HTML conversion.

But what you do need, if I'm right, is a way to view the tables in the TTF. If Mike's suggestion doesn't work, you could look on the Microsoft Typography site for free tools. If they don't have anything free, post your question (restated clearly) to comp.fonts and alt.binaries.fonts. Someone in one of those groups is sure to have a good answer for you.

Dick

From: Rowena Hart <rowena_hart -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 13:18:13 -0700 (PDT)

>Sorry all, I meant that I need to convert from TTF to
>AFM (Adobe File Metrics) format. The F and the T were
>too close to each other on my keyboard...

applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com