RE: Breadcrumb Trail

Subject: RE: Breadcrumb Trail
From: Kevin Montgomery <robertm -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 09:52:57 -0700

In "Web Design, The Complete Reference," Thomas Powell refers to it as a "depth gauge." It shows the user how deep s/h/it is into the website. He suggests keeping each link in the depth gauge selectable except for the last one that indicates the current position.
- Kevin

Hannah Gilberg asked:
What term are people using for the 'breadcrumb trail' at the top of a web application that shows you where the currently displayed page is within the application hierarchy? If you're not familiar with the term breadcrumb trail, maybe this will clarify:

Say you're changing the checking account you use to pay your phone bill online. The breadcrumb trail you might see at the top of the phone company web page might be:

Account Information>Residential Accounts>Pay Online>Edit Payment Info

with 'Edit Payment Info' being the page you're currently in.

My question is, what are people calling this string of pages? I've heard the term 'directory' which seems confusing. Someone on our team suggested 'Locator', which I like, but I'd be interested if there is an established term for this.

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

Buy RoboHelp Office X4 by June 13th and receive
$100 mail-in rebate, Plus FREE RoboHelp Plus Pack.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com