Re: Techwriting after the boom

Subject: Re: Techwriting after the boom
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 08:14:22 -0400

Bonnie Granat wrote:

Technical writers are not technical authors. This indictment of technical
writers for not being technical authors is therefore at its root logically
unsound.

Everybody's seen bad documentation. In my experience, what made the
documentation bad was not the technical content being inaccurate. It was the
ineptitude of the writer.

Or some combination. There is a basic flaw in or educational system. We encourage taking the how to courses because everybody is eager to get out there and earn money.

IMNVHO, at least the first two years of post secondary education should be devoted to liberal arts courses such as: art history; philosophy; and great literature works and oratory. (Of course a proper foundation should first be laid in high schools.) Such courses should include extensive training in explaining opposing points of view. This would teach the fundamentals of problem analysis and explanation of solutions. Only after the students develop proficiency in explaining differing POVs, should they be allowed to proceed to the how to courses. After what good is knowledge if you cannot impart it to others. The major problem with my position is that it is expensive.

--
Peter

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com