RE: Techwriting after the boom

Subject: RE: Techwriting after the boom
From: "Kat Nagel (lists only)" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 17:12:24 -0400

At 10:11 AM 6/6/2003 -0400, France Baril wrote:

Ok, now I keep hearing you guys complaining about the market all the time. So I have to ask you... When you say rates are going down, how much are you talking about? You can answer in $ or %, I just want a rough idea. When you say they are fewer jobs, do you mean you have to look for one as opposed to having offers fall from the sky, or that you cannot find one?

After 13 years of freelancing, with steadily increasing rates and steady work, I was averaging US$55/hr. Rates here in upstate NY have been steadily dropping over the last three years. The highest per-hour rate I've seen listed locally since Christmas was "up to $32/hr depending on experience". Most contracts are running between $20 and $26, with an occasional low-ball of $16-18/per hour.

In two specific cases, Senior Technical Writer positions at two of the area's largest employers have been downgraded. The exact same positions (according to the department managers involved) are now listed as Junior Technical Writer in one case and Administrative Assistant in the other case. Not because they need lower-level skills---the experience and tool requirements in both cases are very long---but because their HR policies won't let them list a senior position with such a low compensation package.

Kat Nagel

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com