RE: Techwriting after the boom

Subject: RE: Techwriting after the boom
From: "Victoria Nuttle" <vnuttle -at- cauto -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 09:25:07 -0500

>>When you say rates are going down, how much are you talking about? You
can answer in $ or %, I just want a rough idea. When you say they are
fewer jobs, do you mean you have to look for one as opposed to having
offers fall from the sky, or that you cannot find one?

Rates have to go down, they've got to compete with people like me who
haven't had a raise in salary since 2001. Oh wait no... sorry... I've
gotten a .04% raise since then. And I still consider myself lucky
because there aren't a lot of open jobs out there that are looking any
better.

And all techie sectors are feeling it. My brother, a UNIX sys admin,
also hasn't had a raise in about the same time period. The market is
just flooded with people looking for jobs, so companies have few reasons
to try and make their current workers really happy since they can dangle
the "you can be replaced" dagger over your head.

Victoria

Victoria J. Nuttle
Technical Writer, Creative Automation

applications, including Net.