RE: Re: RE (no subject)

Subject: RE: Re: RE (no subject)
From: "GeneK" <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 05 Jun 2003 09:32:51 PDT

No, it's only the bulk of the user docs. Behind the
scenes are configuration and service documents, most of
which are never seen by users because much of the tech
inside the boxes involves chemical reactions, high
voltage power and/or lasers that make user-servicing
either impractical or downright dangerous. If you're
working for some huge instrument mfr, it's possible that
you might be able to get a job only documenting user SW,
but in the smaller companies you need to know the science
behind the instrument as well as have a hands-on knowledge
of how to build, install and repair them, because smaller
mfrs usually don't have the resources to have large tech
writing depts - many of their pubs groups are one-person
operations.

Gene Kim-Eng

>Based on my work as a research assistant, would love to
>do documentation of high-tech laboratory equipment - mass
>spectrometers, spectrum analyzers, that sort of thing.
>Though from what I'm reading, it seems that software >documentation is the bulk of the industry.

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com