Re: Proposing a Process for Proposals

Subject: Re: Proposing a Process for Proposals
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:26:40 -0600

Scottie wrote:
> I am looking for suggestions, ideas, experienced
> expertise, best practices, etc. for a proposal
> process. Currently, the company I am with has no
> process(!) and it's a maddening flurry of emails,
> track change documents coupled with the general
> pandamonium that comes with deadlines, too many cooks
> in the kitchen, and only one technical writer.
>
> Some of my suggestions thus far:
>
> Develop a resume repository that has everyone's resume
> down to one page and in the same format.

If this is a requirement you see frequently, go for it. Our sales cycle is
a long one, so I usually blow off requests for specific named resources
and their CV's because the people we'll assign to the project will vary,
based on who's available at the time of the implementation.

> Develop some sort of repository of all past contracts
> information (with contact information, etc.)

Absolutely - but if you have a legal person (or team), THEY should do
that.

> Develop templates for formatting, standard information
> such as company overview, disclaimers, headers and
> footers, etc.

Don't worry much about formatting, but DO develop a repository of chunks
of information you anticipate using frequently. That is a KEY part of
effective proposal management: to establish and maintain these chunks of
info. The reason I downplay the importance of formatting is that you may
be required to use somebody else's formats - many RFPs are very picky as
to how they want you to respond.

> He has hinted about asking me to take on a position
> as a "proposal queen" - the issue: don't want to leave
> the team of awesome people for maybe not so awesome
> other people - don't want to make things awkward with
> the CEO - don't want to miss a potential good
> opportunity.

Take a hard look at both your industry and your company. I made a similar
move in my company, and it's the smartest thing I could have done. I make
more money, have a MUCH higher profile, am on a first-name basis with all
the executives (who did not know I was alive when I was doing regular
documentation), and have survived 5 or 6 layoffs. None of my former doc
team members are still employed here. I don't know if you're in a similar
situation, but the doc teams I've been on - even one really good one -
were on the absolute bottom of the company's food chain. Proposal managers
are typically much closer to the big fish. YMMV.

Keith Cronin
a rebel with a (subordinate) clause

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com