Proposing a Process for Proposals

Subject: Proposing a Process for Proposals
From: S <scottiecornwell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 09:04:06 -0700 (PDT)

I one of the more "silent participants" of this group,
typically reading, absorbing useful information and
laughing about some of the deviations from topic, but
have a suggestion box I'd like to open for the round
table.

I am looking for suggestions, ideas, experienced
expertise, best practices, etc. for a proposal
process. Currently, the company I am with has no
process(!) and it's a maddening flurry of emails,
track change documents coupled with the general
pandamonium that comes with deadlines, too many cooks
in the kitchen, and only one technical writer.

Some of my suggestions thus far:

Develop a resume repository that has everyone's resume
down to one page and in the same format.

Develop some sort of repository of all past contracts
information (with contact information, etc.)

Develop templates for formatting, standard information
such as company overview, disclaimers, headers and
footers, etc.

Another issue I am facing: I was hired to work with a
designated team that I have come to love - they are
all hard-working, helpful, and dedicated (sometimes I
think I have stepped into a parallel universe), but
the CEO has been asking me to work on these proposals.
He has hinted about asking me to take on a position
as a "proposal queen" - the issue: don't want to leave
the team of awesome people for maybe not so awesome
other people - don't want to make things awkward with
the CEO - don't want to miss a potential good
opportunity. Juggling tricks appreciated.

Thanks,
Scottie

http://calendar.yahoo.com

applications, including Net.