Re: FWD: Getting along despite interpersonal skills

Subject: Re: FWD: Getting along despite interpersonal skills
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 05:11:32 -0700 (PDT)

> Here's a question for the group: what do you do with
> a coworker (writer) who has TERRIBLE interpersonal
> skills?

Being able to coexist with other employees is pretty
much an unwritten job requirement for virtually any
job. If someone cannot work in a team environment and
you need them to, well, I'm sorry to say they "just
aren't working out".

If this person's poor social skills interfere with
getting work done (on the individual's part and
others' work), well, same result (they aren't working
out).

Did you or this person's manager have a one-on-one sit
down chat about this behavior and how it's adversely
affacting the team? Is this person aware of the
situation at all? Has this person been instructed to
change this behavior?

This all falls under general management ability. You
(or this person's manager if you are not a manager of
this person) need to work with this person to fix the
situation. You need to be to the point but not
offensively so, and you need to give this person a
plan for correcting the situation. You need to
schedule follow-up meetings to see how things are
going. Of course, you need to document all of this in
the unfortunate event things continue to go sour and
you have to let this person go in order to restore the
productivity of your team.

But, there is no easy way out with difficult
employees. The only advice I can give you is to work
to correct it, have all coaching seminars properly
documented, and go from there.

Good luck!

=====
Goober Writer