Re: Document the detritus?

Subject: Re: Document the detritus?
From: "Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 13:51:43 -0400

At 10:42 a -0400 2003-05-15, John Posada wrote:

Most of the content is output of various database and SQL analysis tools. Because these tools do not discriminate between "real" tables and such, and scraps that are scattered around or left behind, I get obsolete or replaced elements that are not used anymore, but not removed from the system.
[...]
So, I guess the question is should I clean up the documentation to represent the way the system should be, or should I take the position that the document is what the system IS?

I vote for inclusiveness. When I faced a similar situation (for a MUCH smaller system) I documented the obviously real components in appropriate detail. The scraps went in an appendix with the name of the table, dates of creation and last modification, the size, name of owner, and a brief description such as:
"VBALLSTATS
Created: YYYYMMDD
Last modified: YYYYMMDD
Size: 2.3 GB
Owner: <name of former employee>
Appears to be annual rosters and scores for
a team that lost every game from 1982-1997."

The appendix was called "Do we need this?" Shortly after I submitted the draft for review, I was told that a copy of the multi-page appendix appeared on a sysadmin's desk with a big red NO! next to the heading. Most of those tables were gone when I did the revision a few weeks later.

--
Kat Nagel
Inclusiveness. Inclusivity. Whatever.

Robohelp X3, from eHelp, lets you quickly and easily create professional Help systems for all your Windows and Web-based applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com