Re: Somewhat OT: Tech Writers vs. other writers

Subject: Re: Somewhat OT: Tech Writers vs. other writers
From: Doc <doc -at- vertext -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 17:06:18 -0400

A couple of brief comments.

We get paid better, but valued less. The company I just left seems to
be down-sizing its staff in the US at the same time they have dozens
of open reqs for tech writers in their Pune, India offices. I know
this also goes on in other companies. It is not restricted to writers,
tech support gets the same treatment.

To their credit, Indian entrepreneurs have positioned themselves well
to take advantage of the US biz situation. See the article on page E16
of the May 12 edition of Newsweek.

This kind of finagling for dollars does happen to the same extent with
programming and QA activities. So perhaps I may be forgiven for
feeling a little dissed. :-S

Rebecca said:
> Of course someone with a yen for poetry or the stage would not
> necessarily be happy and successful as a tech writer. You gots
> to follow that muse. Fortunately mine likes computers, too. :-)

OTOH a lot of participants and audience members at poetry jams I've
attended tech write for their day job.

-Doc
The VerText Company
South Hamilton, MA