RE: SQL2000 Data Dictionary

Subject: RE: SQL2000 Data Dictionary
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 10:16:22 -0400

Andrew...thanks.

I have three sections. Section one is the ERD diagrams, which also contains
the Primary key and column attributes. They are grouped in clusters on the
page; single if a standalone entity, the group if there is a relationship
between entities.

The next section of the document is a set of tables:

One set of tables for the entity's column attributes, and null is already
included along with the ones I mentioned.
The next set of tables is the listings for Triggers and StoredProcs. This
section includes the actual code for the trigger and SP. This will be a
separate book as it is currently about 2300 11X17 pages...it will be
delivered only electronic, maybe as an online help. Part of the problem is
that I'm creating this documentation for very knowledgeable people who need
this configuration information but don't have access to Prod to get it
themselves.

As far as rights, I'm working from the QA environment and they are willing
to accept the differences between the two, which is not that much difference
besides name differences (I have a cross-reference chart) and usually, the
QA has some tables aren't replicated to Prod, such as load testing
databases. I'm using ERwin to extract this information...one of the main
reasons is that ERwin has the ability to store a model of the database on a
local drive and periodically, I can run a full compare to check for changes
to help me update the docs.

Andrew, thanks again.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream
of things that never were, and ask why not?"
-----Robert Francis Kennedy, 1968 presidential campaign

> I used to doc data dictionaries all the time. SQL 2000 is
> easy, it will
> actually give you a nice export of the entire database. Just
> reformat that and
> fill in the rest. I think SQL Server 2000 also has a feature
> that will doc the
> database for you. I don't remember. You'd need admin rights
> to the database to
> access that feature, which the DBA might not want to give you.

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com