Re: How Many Trees? (WAS: URGENT: Immediate ethical issue)

Subject: Re: How Many Trees? (WAS: URGENT: Immediate ethical issue)
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 20:44:46 +0200

Legally, there is no infringement (as I did not copy
your paragraph verbatim), but my paragraph is not
really "original" either, as I needed yours to inspire
me. So, is anything truly original (now)?

Your mixing two concepts here that are not directly related: "(copyright) infrigement" is a legal concept, "originality" is a creative one.

Your rewriting of John's paragraph certainly isn't original - no argument there. And it probably would constitute copyright infringement. Simply replacing words isn't enough to circumvent that.

Just where the line is between illegal copying and legal stating of the same information with other words is hard to tell in a general manner - this is the stuff that lawsuits are made of (and lawyers' fortunes :-). But with simple word substitution, you are almost certainly on the wrong side of that line.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.
FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com