Re: Stereotypes (WAS: what to look for in a Tech Editor)

Subject: Re: Stereotypes (WAS: what to look for in a Tech Editor)
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 17:08:45 -0700

Anita Legsdin wrote:

> [If there were] an absolute right and wrong in language...
> then there would be no need for the MLA style sheet, or the
> Chicago Manual of Style, ad nauseam.

Sure there would. They'd all list the same rules, but you'd still need to know them.

By the way, my earlier statement about being able to use the terminology of grammar was based on my own experience as a tech editor. Good writers want to learn from your edits, your fellow editors probably know that stuff, and most managers won't hire an editor who doesn't.

I'm not talking about beating your writers over the head it--just being able to explain your edits.

Ever see the late-night skit about the doctor who talks and acts like a half-drunk Valley Girl? She's says things like, "Now, let's see...which side is the appendix on?" and "I need that...um...thingy to hit your knee with, so I can see if your leg goes up."

She may be a competent doctor, but nobody takes her seriously.

--David

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

HTML Indexer 4 includes fully integrated cross-references, target frames
and windows, multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries,
and more!

http://www.html-indexer.com/

ATTENTION FrameMaker Users: Fill-out the following survey
to receive a chance to win a FREE RoboScreenCapture.

FM users only please: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com