RE: Wrestling with MS Templates and Styles

Subject: RE: Wrestling with MS Templates and Styles
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 10:05:02 -0600

Sam said:
>... Also, I've found it best to simply come up different names for the
styles instead of trying to modify Word's existing styles. For example,
instead of using the Normal style, I use Body Text. For headings, I use
something like 1Heading instead of Heading 1. Still pretty clear what the
style should be used for, but it gets around the problem of trying to modify
Word's standard style.<

and Steve replied:
> I don't believe Word will LET you change the default template names.

No, but you can create new styles within a default template, which is (I
think) what Sam was suggesting. I usually end up using a combination of
predefined styles (which I've modified to suit the document) and
user-created styles (which I base on -no other style- so they're not
accidentally modified if/when the base style is modified).

Sam also said:
>There also tends to be an issue with using the Automatically Update
checkbox on the Style dialog box, but I don't recall off-hand what that is.<

to which Steve replied (in part):
>It's good idea (IMO) to also set the Automatically Update checkbox
(in Templates & Add-ins), so that 'non-standard' styles will be updated.

Hrmmmm....I have to disagree (but, of course YMMV). Once I get a style the
way I want it, (or if I've specifically created it) I turn off the
Automatically Update option. I really hate adjusting the kerning of an
item, or italicizing something (for whatever reason), and discovering that
now -all- instances of that style carry the new kerning or italics, or
whatever. Especially since there are times when "Undo" just doesn't undo
the damage (bulleted lists come to mind...)

applications, including Net.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com