Re: DOCINFO pdfmark problems

Subject: Re: DOCINFO pdfmark problems
From: Shlomo Perets <mtype -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:54:16 +0200

Rick,

You wrote (replying to Mark Osborne):

I copied your code, pasted it into a PostScript Code text box, and created a
PDF file. My PDF's document title appears as "name of title." So the code
worked for me.

I printed directly to PDF from FrameMaker 7.0p578.

Is it possible that you had TimeSavers/IgnoreDOCINFO activated
when distilling the file?

The PS text frame approach works fine with FM versions earlier than 5.5.6,
and will also work with later versions of FrameMaker Windows/MacOS/(some)Unix
if you *turn off Acrobat Data*.

The reason for this is the /DOCINFO command FrameMaker 5.5.6 and
higher adds to the PS file it create, placed at the beginning of the file
(before any content you have in the file). Acrobat Distiller "respects"
the first DOCINFO command it finds (the one inserted by FrameMaker),
ignoring any subsequent commands.

Even though FrameMaker 6.0 and higher enable the definition of DocInfo
fields through a dialog box (PDF Setup, DocInfo tab in FM6; File > File Info
in FM7), it is my opinion that the PS text frame is still much better than
these, due to the vulnerability & various limitations of the new implementation.

Example/more info is available at http://www.microtype.com/showcase/docinfo.pdf
-- where the docinfo fields are defined through a cross-reference, variables and typed text.
(http://www.microtype.com/showcase/DocInfo.zip includes the source .fm file,
distilled with TimeSavers/IgnoreDOCINFO).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker, Acrobat training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers
FrameMaker-to-PDF Assistants: Form, Navigation, Presentation, Defaults

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires 4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com