RE: Over 40/Over 50 (WAS: Work-Life Balance (WAS Re: Offered a jo b - need opinions)

Subject: RE: Over 40/Over 50 (WAS: Work-Life Balance (WAS Re: Offered a jo b - need opinions)
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:37:48 -0400

What I'm saying is that nobody should impose ANY of their beliefs on how
their life should be structured and make a determination based on those
beliefs.

Yes, if I dislike being required to continuously work over 40 against my
will under the penalty of dismissal, then yes, there are legit rules to
prevent it. However, that never seems to be included in others determination
of what kind of structure someone else should work under. It's always a
black/white statement that goes something like this:

"You work 50 hours? Man, your priorities are screwed up, you're being
exploited, and you should quit your job for a better quality of life."

> I guess my family's pro-union sympathies are showing, but no
> apologies here.

BTW...I HATE unions....and yes, I've belonged to them in the past, so maybe
the reason I hate them is what I (and others) was able to get away with
while a member...but I'm not getting into a debate on this list on this
point.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream
of things that never were, and ask why not?"
-----Robert Francis Kennedy, 1968 presidential campaign

> wow, John, I guess I hit a nerve? (wasn't trying to
> 'superimpose' anything
> on anyone)
> - but I believe that 'exploitation' is the correct
> characterization. That's
> why the Federal Labor Laws were enacted - to protect the 'non-exempt'
> (non-salaried) worker from exploitation.
>
> I guess my family's pro-union sympathies are showing, but no
> apologies here.
> BTW, aren't you projecting a 'white cottage-picket fence-kids
> in the yard'
> stereotype? That's far from my life (though my wife & I do enjoy our
> beautiful 6-week old daughter).
>
> I don't know you, but if "work til 11, party til 4" is your
> life, all I can say is NO THANKS.
>

> > After 5 years, I left a 'Job for Life' with my last employer
> > (a Fortune 500 company), where many departments routinely
> > require 50+ hours weekly for salaried employees. That's
> > exploitation. If the job routinely

> Why is it that those who do not fit within someone's idea of
> what a life
> should be are automatically labeled as exploited. It's the
> same thing when I
> hear that working in a metro area is sacrificing quality of life.

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com