RE: What Would You Do with a Writer Who Can't Write?

Subject: RE: What Would You Do with a Writer Who Can't Write?
From: "Gillies, Sascha" <Sascha -dot- Gillies -at- au -dot- unisys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:52:20 +1000

I worked with a guy who couldn't spell, couldn't write and couldn't
take
direction. He spent most of his time bad-mouthing the other TWs on the
team
and smiling sweetly at everyone else.
My manager was in the difficult position of justifying why she was
trying to
sack him. Our labour laws dictate that three written warnings are
necessary
before an employee can be fired. In the end he left when it was
apparent he
was going to get his third warning...(but it did take the threat of
legal
action for him to return his laptop!)

What I learn from this experience was that personalities are often what
is
judged. He was perceived to be the victim because he seemed to be a
"good
guy"...that my manager was "harassing" him...it was a messy situation.
Maybe the manager in the previous cases wanted an "easy-going"
employee- one
that doesn't ask too many questions, filled the space and didn't offer
suggestions about improvements etc....

Just a theory.

Sascha

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com