Re: controlled languages/simplified English?

Subject: Re: controlled languages/simplified English?
From: "Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:10:24 -0400

"Kathryn O'Donoghue" <kathryn -dot- odonoghue -at- oracle -dot- com>:
I know that Caterpillar and NCR published dictionaries of their form of Simplified English. I've tried numerous search engines/book stores but I couldn't find any info on how to get hold of them. Could anyone help?

Eastman Kodak Company also has a form of Simplified English that it calls Kodak International Service Language (KISL). As far as I know, it has never been published as a book because it isn't static; it evolves as new technologies generate new products that Kodak's service engineers must deal with.

The service training division that originated and maintains KISL is easy to find from Kodak's main web site.

<short pause to fire up the web browser>
<another pause>

The service training division that originated and maintains KISL *used to be* easy to find from Kodak's main web site. Tain't there now. They've redesigned the whole blinkin' site to make it easy for customers to find information and service for specific products. The WHOLE site! There is *nothing* left for folks who want to find out something about the *company*. Even their phone book listings have dropped the individual business unit names/numbers. Grrrrr. Think I'll write a stockholder complaint.

If you want to find out more about KISL, the people you need to talk to are in a division that used to be called Global Service and Support back in 1994 when I did some training design for them. (Heaven knows what they call themselves today, after a decade of annual reorganizations.) They are the group that writes all the service (not user) manuals and training programs for the engineers and technicians who service Kodak products. To get to them, though, it looks like you'll have to spend some time listening to whatever insipid music they use while you're on Hold. <sigh> These numbers should give you a place to start:

* Equipment Service has a toll-free number (800-356-3253). The last time I called them, a real person answered the phone.

*In case the service number has gone to one of those multi-level incomprehensible "Press 4 for dkseuufnrv" systems, the main number for Kodak's corporate headquarters is 585-724-4000.

Somebody at one of those two numbers should be able to connect you to the right group.

Good luck!
K@
--
Kat Nagel