Re: Thank God for good documentation

Subject: Re: Thank God for good documentation
From: surfer_924 -at- earthlink -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 05:42:08 -0600

Andrew wrote: "A prime example of how real-world experience with the
subject matter is overwhelmingly more important than any level of process,
method, or design. When docs don't meet the needs of users, they will
ignore them and begin building their own. And those docs are usually
crude, unattractive, and lacking in every category on an STC evaluation
form - yet they are of immense value to the readers."

Such was my introduction to technical writing. My first "manual" was a
user guide for building a database in dbaseIV. The 500+ page manual that
came with the software was useless, and nobody was using the software. By
learning how to use the software "by the seat of my pants" and documenting
what I learned, I was able to produce a crude user manual. My boss and the
rest of the office were so impressed that I got an award.

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com