RE: Documenting overloaded functions

Subject: RE: Documenting overloaded functions
From: "Robert Plamondon" <robert -at- plamondon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:34:45 -0700

If your functions are listed alphabetically, as God intended, the issue
largely goes away. The overloaded functions will be either presented as
independent functions, one after the other, or you can have a single entry
and list the variants under it. The reader turns to the same page to begin
with in either case.

If they all have individual entries, then each one should have a "See Also"
cross-reference to the others.

Which to choose depends on how much they have in common and how long the
descriptions are. For example, if there are four almost-identical instances
and they can all be disposed of in a single page, they obviously should be.
If they occupy ten pages each, I'd probably keep them separate. If even one
instance was unrelated to the others, I'd probably list each of them
separately, and not have some grouped and some independent, because I want
the structure of the document to be obvious to the reader.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon
President, High-Tech Technical Writing

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com