Re: Writers as SME's

Subject: Re: Writers as SME's
From: "Robert Plamondon" <robert -at- plamondon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:07:01 -0700

In documentation aimed at highly technical end-users, such as a
semiconductor data sheet or a milling machine user's guide, it's a handicap
for the client if the writer doesn't share the background of the end-users.
Basic writing tasks are greatly hampered, such as selecting what material
stays and what goes, or what to explain and what to assume the reader knows
already.

When I was in college, I spent one summer autoclaving glassware and other
simple tasks in a biochemistry lab. I tried to learn what was going on
around me, but with one year of college chemistry under my belt, I didn't
have the basic concepts of anyone's research. They were all trying to figure
out whether a side effect of a process I didn't understand were in
incomprehensible category A or incomprehensible category B, using techniques
that took advantage of some obscure but controllable side effect of it all
as a way of getting a handle on it.

I'd have been sunk if I'd had to write up what was going on in the lab. I
didn't have the background for it. My role would have become DTP plus a stab
at editorial services. Someone else would have to do all the actual writing.

On the other hand, when someone wants me to document something within my
competence, such documenting a chip or just about anything aimed at system
administrators, I don't need much help from SME's. An initial orientation,
all of the specifications and marketing materials, answers to specific
questions, and careful reviewing are all I ask.

A lot of people think this is well worth paying for, since the load that's
removed from the engineers in this way allows quite a bit of product
development to go on.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon
President, High-Tech Technical Writing

Last chance to order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
PLUS free RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Offer expires
4/30/03! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com