Re: Word Index-Phantom Entries

Subject: Re: Word Index-Phantom Entries
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 00:08:15 -0700

Carol Gilbert wrote:

> ...I still seem to have "phantom" entries from before. They do not appear
> with the marked entry but just " , vi" or " , 23". I have turned on
> fields and these entries are not present. I only see my own. Where are
> they coming from and how do I eliminate them?

Well, I can't say *for sure* without seeing the actual document, but they've gotta be there or they wouldn't turn up in the index.

At the risk of stating the obvious, look on pages vi and 23 for a field like this: { XE "" } or { XE }

Remember that turning on field codes display *does not* make index entry (XE) fields visible. For wome reason, Word treats XE fields differently. To see them, click on the ¶ button, or select Tools, Options, View tab, Formatting Marks: All and Hidden Text.

(I don't know that Hidden Text will make a difference, but it can't hurt if you're having trouble finding them.)

--David

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

HTML Indexer 4 includes fully integrated cross-references, target frames
and windows, multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries,
and more!

http://www.html-indexer.com/

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com