RE: certification

Subject: RE: certification
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:12:49 -0400

How am I advocating the end of my own way of doing business? It's OK to
pursue skills that are outside of the certification. Certification doesn't
dictate what you are limited to...just makes sure that to claim
certification, you must also know a wide base of advanced skills. BTW...to
my way of thinking, advanced skills are those that not only make you aware
of what to do, but why you do it so you can modify how you do it to get a
specific result.

Example. You are selected to create X by Y. At Y-z, you are told that the
project is being COMPLETELY changed. Some will redirect their efforts and
they may make it, they may not. When not, they'll say "hey...it's not my
fault...you changed the rules. Others will know what the change means and be
able to bring in skills and understandings to accomplish the new goal.

> Also I find it bizarre that you are advocating the end of your
> own way of doing business. You have vaunted on list the numerous skills
> you've picked up on the job. It is inevitable that once there's
> certification that means even a little, it will be impossible to land a
job without
> taking the courses first. If there had been a recognized Enterprise
> application (that's what

Good question. Remember, a company doesn't have to hire based on
certification. Maybe the company personality is better suited to someone who
doesn't have the certification and they want to take a chance. Companies now
hire people with less EXACT skill but with more ability and personality
now...doesn't they? Has anyone here every gotten hired to document something
written in C++ and know they got the job over someone with a more advanced
CompSci degree? Cert is not a guarantee of employment, it's just an
indication to be included with other factors.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"Alright, nobody move! I've got a dragon here, and I'm not afraid to use it"
---------- Donkey

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com