Attn: wannabe font-fondlers--book recommendation

Subject: Attn: wannabe font-fondlers--book recommendation
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:29:57 -0400

We've got a guy who stops in once a month from the company that provides auto insurance to us employees (convenient benefit to us in that payments are even and are deducted from paychecks; no cost to employer). He sits around for an hour and if anyone has any questions or administrative changes, he takes care of it. He sits around not doing much sometimes, so he brings a book to read.

He was here today, and I had an insurance thing to do. So I happened to notice the typography textbook he had brought with him, and I thumbed through it.

Hey, folks, this is a _good_ book. It is a textbook for graphic artists, most of whom know exactly nothing about typography. So it takes you from tabula rasa up through some fairly sophisticated concepts. It definitely discusses readability issues, along with page layout basics, font selection, etc. I recommend it to folks who know a little about typography and wish they knew more or who know nothing and want to know something. There is probably nothing new in it for the experienced typographer.

It is a little light on the editorial side; it tells the student to use the dashes the editor specifies instead of telling the student which dash to use where, for example.

Otherwise, it is a fine book. Here it is:

James Craig and William Burrington, Designing with Type: a Basic Course in Typography. 4th ed.

NOTE: If you don't care, please just delete this post. No need to start an anti-font-fondling thread.

Dick

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com