Re: certification

Subject: Re: certification
From: surfer_924 -at- earthlink -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:52:40 -0600

With the diverse nature of Technical Writing, I doubt if there will ever
be a specific body of knowledge agreed upon by enough professionals in the
field that will warrant the type of certification that doctors, lawyers,
CPAs, etc. have. While there are "Technical Writing Certification
Programs" out there, most of them seem to offer no more than basic
writing, editing, and communication skills that most college graduates
would be expected to have. I don't see them offering much in the way of
marketability. Instead of (in my opinion) wasting my time pursuing a
certification of dubious value, I chose instead to work on my Masters
Degree in CIS.

For those of you who feel the need to be certified, there are plenty of
other certification programs that offer training and certification in
skills that employers are seeking(A+ and MCSE to name a few). In fact, I
lost out on a tech writing job once because I was not MCSE certified.

Surfer_924

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com