RE: RE: certification

Subject: RE: RE: certification
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:35:03 -0400

I picked those three because I'm using all three now...today...since lunch.

- My job isn't project management, but I'm the lone writer, so I need to
know enough project management skills to do what I need.
- My job isn't Process Analyst, but part of what I'm doing is analyzing 30
processes and documenting them diagrammatically.
- I'm not a programmer and don't need a degree in CS, but I need to know
that when I get something from a programmer that says: 45 days window; and
od.ReceivedDate > Dateadd(dd, -45, convert(char(10), getdate(), 101)), I
know it's indicating something about a floating time period 45 days from
current.

Technical writing cuts across many specialties. We don't need the depth of
knowledge of any of those specialties, but we need to know SOMETHING about
all of them.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"Alright, nobody move! I've got a dragon here, and I'm not
afraid to use it"
---------- Donkey

> > There are certifications for those things John cited, and
> > they're useful
> > if project management, business process analysis or
> > programming is all you
> > ever do in your job. Tech writers may use those skills to
> > some degree, but
> > it's not the sum total of the job. Thus, if these things were
> > included in
> > a certification for tech writers, they would not be covered
> > to the level
> > of detail that they might be if it were for a certified
> > project manager,
> > process analyst or programmer.

> Subject: RE: certification
> > - Project Management
> > - Process Analysis
> > - Basics in Programming
> >
> > I could have sworn there were existing certification
> > organizations for all
> > of those>

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com